Coconut Rice and Two Squashes
So, I’ve taken some liberties with this recipe, but that’s nothing new!
The original recipe came from a wine maker’s website. This is a traditional Indian mixed rice dish called Biryani, (pronounced [bɪr.jaːniː]) sometimes spelled Biriyani or Biriani. It’s made with spices, rice and usually meat or vegetables. I had two different squashes in the house, so my Biryani was bright and colorful!
The spices are warm and soothing and the addition of toasted coconut and pistachios are crazy delicious.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 2-3 Garlic cloves
- 3 Tbls. (juice of one lemon) and 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 medium size Delicato squash
- 2 Yellow Summer Squash
- 1-½ cups brown or basmati rice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes or shreds
- 1/2 cup unsalted pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 Sweet onion, diced
- 1/8 tsp. Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. garam masala
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cardamom (optional)