Seitan Italian Sausage
Have you had these? No, not the store-bought, overly salted and oily ones. These. My friend, Gaia made these for us in a cooking demo. She made it look effortless, because it really is! The only tricky part is to make sure not to over-knead the seitan dough. Make sure to watch Gaia’s video for more tips!
Prep time: 10-12 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Makes 12, 6″ sausages
- large steamer pot, or steam basket
- 1 medium mixing bowl
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 12 sheets foil
- 1 cup pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cold vegetable broth
- 2 Tbls. olive oil*
- 4 Tbls. soy sauce (or tamari)
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or finely minced
- 2 – 1/2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tsp. fennel seed, crushed well
- 2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp. sweet paprika
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- Several dashes fresh black pepper
*If oil isn’t your thing, sub thick tomato paste in the same amount.
This recipe can be adapted by adding other seasonings of your choice. For a more ‘chik’n-esque type sausage or patty, use the basic recipe and add poultry seasoning, and chopped apple instead of the Italian seasonings.