POTATO CORN CAKES
This was one of those recipes that was born out of laziness. I wanted to make hash browns, and had a full russet sitting on the counter, but didn’t want to spend the time fussing with it. I remembered the potato flakes in the pantry. Viola! Add the cornmeal and a little flour, seasonings and of course, the corn! You can’t go wrong on a weekend morning to feed a hungry crowd or just yourself. The best part is that these can be made in advance and heated in the oven.
I served these with my tomato jam, but you could use a vegan sour cream, or even applesauce if you want to be more daring!
Makes 8-10 2-3” round cakes or up to 20 smaller cakes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 2 cups potato flakes (organic if you can find them)
- ½ cup fine cornmeal
- 1/3 cup regular baking flour (GF flour will work if you prefer to keep it gluten free)
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- ¾ cup nutritional yeast (aka nooch)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups vegetable broth or unsweetened plant milk (and more for necessary consistency)
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels (unsalted and no sauce), or direct from the cob
- 4 green onions, sliced thin