This tempeh bacon certainly isn’t the real thing, and that’s a good thing. But, it can be substituted in any recipe and in any form, just like you would do with traditional pork or turkey bacon. The flavors are a great combination of salty, sweet, spicy and definitely smoky.
Makes 8-10 slices
Prep time: 10 minutes (excluding marinate time)
Cook time: 10-12 minutes
- One package of plain tempeh
- 3 Tbls. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 Tbls. maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. smoky paprika
- 1-2 Tbls. liquid smoke (optional)
- Slice the tempeh lengthwise, carefully into 1/4″ pieces.
- Lay tempeh in shallow pan.
- Combine all other ingredients in small saucepan and heat until well combined.
- Let marinade cool, then pour over tempeh slices.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours, then flip slices to make sure all sides get covered. Refrigerate for another 2 hours.
- Heat grill or sauté pan on high.
- When pan is hot, add tempeh slices and let cook for 8 minutes on one side, then carefully turn and cook on the other side.
Option: put tempeh slices single layer on foil, and place under broiler for 2-3 minutes. Keep an eye on it so as not to burn.