EGGPLANT BURGER WITH PORTOBELLO BUNS
I loved this idea of the portobello caps as the burger buns! It’s so fun and way more tasty (and healthy) than a traditional burger bun. Just like a traditional burger, you can also add any toppings you like. I found the eggplant and zucchini with tomato and onion work really well together. The pesto sauce slathered on each mushroom cap is the piece de resistance!
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
- 4 Portobello mushroom caps
- 1 eggplant
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 large tomato
- 1/2 red onion
- Spinach leaves or any other leafy green
- 2 tablespoons white or black sesame seeds
- Pesto sauce
Optional ingredients: roasted red pepper
Assembling the Burgers
- Lay the mushroom caps top down on separate plates. Two of these will be your bun ‘bottoms’.
- Spread pesto sauce on each of the mushroom ‘bottoms’.
- Next, lay your greens on, then 1 to 2 slices of roasted eggplant, 2 slices of roasted zucchini, and a large slice of red onion, tomato and more greens.
- Top each sandwich with the second mushroom cap, sprinkle on a few sesame seeds to resemble a real bun!
- Bring a big napkin because these are juicy!
- Serve with a cabbage slaw or potato salad.