LAYERED TORTILLA CASSEROLE
This recipe couldn’t have been easier. Layered food means layers of flavors and these all come together in one big delicious way!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 6, 8″ Corn tortillas, cut in half
- 1 can organic no-salt black beans
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 jar of Salsa (I used organic Muir Glen)
- 1/2 can black olives, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped jalapenos
- 1 red pepper, chopped in small pieces
- 2 cups corn kernels (I used organic frozen)
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1 cup meat alternative such as Boca crumbles, or tempeh (optional)
- Sourey cream (recipe below, and it’s outta this world good)
- 1/2 large avocado, peeled and sliced in 1″ thick strips
- Sourey Cream recipe
1. Chop sweet potato in small cubes and steam in boiling water until soft. This should take less than 10 minutes.
2. Transfer sweet potato to large bowl. Add black beans and mash together with potato masher or large sturdy fork.
3. Build your casserole, starting with a thin layer of your salsa on the bottom of a large round casserole dish, approx. 4″ deep. Option: use a 9″x13″ glass rectangle casserole pan.
4. Next layer tortilla pieces to cover the salsa. Spread 1/3 of your potato/bean mixture on the tortillas.
5. Sprinkle on 1/3 of your corn, Boca crumbles, red pepper and black olives. A few jalapeños can go here, too!
6. Begin the layers again, starting with salsa. You should have enough ingredients to layer completely two more times. Finish with salsa and scallions.
7. Pop in 350 F oven for 20-25 minutes, foil covered. Uncover and bake for 10 more minutes.
Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes before cutting carefully and removing from pan.
Before serving, top with 2 slices of avocado and a big dollop of the sourey cream. I dare you not to smile when you eat this!