Tempeh Philly Cheese Sauce Sandwich
This sandwich will make you smile. Real big. The combination of tempeh and portobello mushroom slices swimming with sauteed peppers and onions, all drowned in the best cheese sauce will have your tastebuds exploding with happiness!
If you’re not a tempeh fan, make this sandwich with only portobello slices. If you’re not a mushroom fan (egads!), use only tempeh slices.
Prep time: 15 minutes plus an hour for marinating
Cook time: 15 minutes
Makes 4 sandwiches
Inspiration from Forealslife.com
- 3 portobello mushroom caps, sliced thin
- 6-8 oz. tempeh (I really like the 3-grain)
- 2 Tbls. low sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 large yellow or sweet onion, cut into strips
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 jalapenos, sliced
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chile flakes, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash of black pepper
- Cheeze Sauce Recipe.
- 4 whole wheat pita or 4 whole grain sandwich buns