APPLE PEAR CABBAGE SLAW
Total time: 10 minutes plus refrigerator time
This is a perfect example of teamwork. Alone, all the parts of this recipe are pretty average. But, get them all mingling together and BA-BAM! The sum of its’ parts become a delicious, fresh and crunchy slaw. While you may think slaws should be reserved for spring and summer, I dare you not to enjoy this (especially with the basil addition) all year long.
Thanks again to Whole Foods for giving me a sample at their deli counter! I ran home and made it myself…..for a fraction of the price!
- 1/2 medium sized green cabbage, sliced thin or grated
- 2 cups pineapple chunks (fresh is best)
- 2 semi-firm green pears (truly, any pear will work)
- 1 large granny smith apple
- Juice from one lime (about 2 Tbls.)
- 3/4 cup fresh basil, chiffonade
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, also chiffonade
- 1 Tbls. maple syrup
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- Using a large bowl, add the grated or sliced cabbage and pineapple chunks.
- Chop the pear, unpeeled, into small pieces and add to bowl.
- Peel the apple and chop into small pieces, then add to bowl.
- Chiffonade the mint and basil leaves and add to bowl. Mix them carefully with the others so as not to ‘bruise the leaves’.
- In a separate medium size bowl, mix together the maple syrup, apple cider vinegar and lime juice. Pour this on the slaw mix in the larger bowl.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix all together. Taste and add more of what you like, if necessary.
- You can serve immediately, but I find the flavors get along better when they’ve had time to socialize in the refrigerator for at least one hour!