Artichoke Tofu Egg-less Salad
It’s creamy. It’s crunchy. It’s tangy. It’s surprising. It’s what you make on the weekend and pile high on your favorite toasted bread! I like my eggless salads really hearty and meaty, but you can certainly use less or more of any of these ingredients. Make it your own way, but just make it!!
- 1 package of extra firm tofu, pressed if you have the time
- 1 cup canned artichokes, no salt added
- 1-1/2 cups of The Best Homemade Mayo (or use another eggless, dairy-free one that you like)
- 1/3 cup of your favorite relish (I like Bubbies)
- 2-3 scallions, sliced small
- 2-3 large celery stalks, sliced small
- 1 tsp. smoky paprika
- 1/2 tsp. (or to taste) Kala Namak or black mineral salt
- 1/2 Tbls. spicy brown mustard
- 3-4 small red peppadew peppers*
*I usually find these on the olive bar at most grocery stores and bring home several. They’re sweet and tangy all at the same time, and are a really versatile component to many dishes.
- In a large bowl, add together the mayo, mustard, scallions, celery, paprika, mineral salt and relish and mix gently, but thoroughly.
- Add the chopped tofu and artichokes to another large bowl.
- Mix the first bowl mayo, etc. into the artichokes and tofu.
- No salt should be necessary because of the black mineral salt added.
- Pile high on your favorite bread or roll and top with slices of red peppadews!
- Chopped green or kalamata olives
- Slightly mashed white beans which will balance out flavors