I’ve replicated bacon using mushrooms, eggplant, and zucchini. Now, I’ve tried carrots and I think this is my all time favorite. The flavors are spot on, and when baked, the carrots get crispy. Perfect for sandwiches or as a salad topping!
Recipe adapted from Meet the Shannons
Prep time: 12-24 hours marinating time (the longer the better)
Cook time: 8-10 minutes depending on your oven
- 6-8 large carrots
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon Bragg’s Liquid Amino Acids
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced (powdered garlic may work better here)
- 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Slice carrots into thin strips using either a mandolin or food processor. I use my new Titan peeler and it’s awesome!
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vegetable broth, Braggs, liquid smoke, garlic and smoked paprika.
- Add sliced carrots and liquid mix to a large plastic bag with zipper closure.
- Lay the bag flat on a large plate and refrigerate for at least 8 hours, but longer is always better to let the carrots absorb more flavor.
- After marinating, arrange carrot slices on a foil-wrapped baking sheet, but don’t overlap them.
- Bake for 7 minutes. Remove baking sheet and flip carrots over.
- Bake for another 7-8 minutes. It might take more or less time depending on how thick or thin you sliced the carrots. You’ll know your carrot bacon is done when the edges are crispy and the center of each slice looks dry.
- Let cool to room temperature (they’ll also crisp up more) before crumbling over a salad or adding to a sandwich. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.