Cucumber Ceviche with Jackfruit
This is a delightful summer recipe. Fresh, cool, spicy and creamy when you top it with avocado!
Canned green jackfruit resembles flaked crabmeat when cooked and shredded. It can be found in Indian and Asian markets or purchased through the internet. Look for the label “Green Jackfruit” or “Young Green Jackfruit” and be sure that it’s packed in water or brine and not syrup. Don’t use jackfruit packed in syrup as the ripe fruit is too sweet in this recipe.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
Makes 4 cups
- 1 can (20 oz) green jackfruit in water or brine
- 1/4 cup Nori or seaweed – marinate/boil jackfruit in it and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- ½ cup peeled and small diced tomato
- ½ cup peeled, seeded and small diced cucumber
- ¼ cup small diced onion ( I used onion powder
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro or dried (I used dried, and fresh parsley)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup artichoke pieces, roughly chopped
- 1 small Serrano chili, seeded and finely minced (I used a poblano)
- Juice of 2 limes
- S/P to taste
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ½ ripe but firm avocado, diced