Forbidden Black Rice and Red Cabbage Salad
Japanese black rice has become one of my favorites because it has a ‘meaty’ quality to it, and the taste is nutty and semi-sweet. It pairs well with anything! This is a very pretty and hearty salad, and so easy to throw together.
- 1 cup Japanese black rice
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup edamame beans
- 2 Tbls. chopped green onions
- 1/3 cup shredded carrot
Miso Peanut Sauce
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter, preferably organic
- 1 Tbls. yellow miso
- 1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne (optional)
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- Put black rice in 2 cups boiling water. Reduce to simmer, cover for 25 minutes. When done, the rice should be cooked through, but still have a ‘bite’ to it, not mushy.
- Add the sauce ingredients to a small blender or whisk them all together until smooth and creamy. Add more vinegar (or water) to get the consistency you desire.
- Combine the rest of the vegetables in a medium size bowl. Add the rice when cool and mix together with the peanut miso sauce.
- Optional toppings: toasted sesame seeds or chopped peanuts.