Braised Cabbage and Raisins
This easy, quick dish is so satisfying and full of healthy nutrients. This recipe can be served warm or cold, as a salad.
- 1 red cabbage (between 2 – 2 1/2 pounds), cored, outer leaves discarded and chopped into 1″ pieces
- 2-3 cups kale, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or agave
- Optional add ins: cooked chickpeas
- Heat a large heavy saucepan on high heat. Add onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes until they begin to soften. Lower heat to medium and add small amounts of water or broth to keep onions from burning.
- Stir in cabbage, golden raisins, and rest of broth. Cover. When broth begins to boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until cabbage has wilted and raisins have plumped.
- Add in the kale and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine agave (or maple syrup), vinegar and caraway seeds. Stir until well combined.
- When cabbage has cooked, add apple cider mixture and stir to combine.