Root Vegetable Soup
While this is a Fall/Winter season inspired soup, the bright flavors go well in every season. I began making this at 5:45 am, watching the sun slowly wake up over our western North Carolina mountains. It felt so right. Root vegetables alone are so comforting and the surprise of orange and balsamic will make your tastebuds dance!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Makes 8 cups
- 3 Tbs. orange juice
- 1 Tbs. pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 3-4 stalks collards or chard greens
- 3 cups onions, diced
- 3-4 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 Tbls. minced fresh ginger or ginger paste
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes*, diced (1-1/2 cups)
- 1 large Japanese sweet potato (a regular sweet potato works, too)
- 1 lb. carrots, peeled and diced medium size (2 ½ cups)
- ½ large rutabaga**, peeled and diced medium size (2 cups)
*I don’t usually peel my potatoes, but feel free to peel yours!
** Parsnips may also be used in addition to or instead of rutabaga. Both should be peeled before diced.