Fall is my favorite season….or maybe it’s Spring. Oh well, I guess I just love watching, seeing and smelling the seasonal changes. I often write my food thoughts on the chalkboard in our kitchen!
Makes 6-8 cups
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 3-5 hours
- 5 cups veg stock (or 12 cubes of your homemade frozen stock)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 can diced tomatoes (or 4 fresh diced plum tomatoes)
- 1-1/2 cups black beans or any of your faves!
- 12 oz. can black soybeans (no salt)
- 2 large carrots, sliced into 1/2 in. pieces
- 1 large red pepper, sliced into 1/2 in. pieces
- 1-1/2 cups frozen okra pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup corn (I used a whole cob and sliced off the corn, but frozen is fine!)
- 1/8 cup diced jalapeño chilis
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. Spike Natural salt-free seasoning
- 1/8 cup balsamic or other sweet vinegar
- Options: 1 medium sweet potato, chopped into 1/2 in. pieces
- 2 large kale stalks, stripped and chopped
- Turn crock pot on high. Pour soup stock or frozen cubes into crock pot. Then, the tomato paste goes in and stir it until thoroughly dissolved.
- Add all the other vegetables, including the diced tomatoes.
- Add all the seasonings and vinegar. Stir all to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours, then turn down to medium and let cook for another 2-3 hours.