The addition of the lite coconut milk elevates this roasted butternut squash soup to magnificent creaminess! I served it in small hollowed out pumpkin shells.
Makes 8 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 4 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- Option: you can buy 2 packages already chopped, usually found in the produce section.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large shallots, peeled and halved
- 1 (1/2-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced or 1 teaspoon ground
- 2 -1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup lite coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons (1-inch) slices fresh chives
- Cracked black pepper (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375°
2. Combine first 4 ingredients in a roasting pan or jelly-roll pan; toss well. Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Cool 10 minutes.
3. Place half of squash mixture and half of broth in a blender with all the pumpkin puree.
4. Blend until smooth. Pour into a large saucepan.
5. Repeat procedure with remaining squash mixture and broth. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Top with chives and pepper, if desired.