There’s everything right about tomato soup in the Fall! Now, bump up the volume a bit with a smoky flavor and you’ve got yourself a true crowd pleasing soup! Serve with toasted whole wheat or GF croutons sprinkled with garlic powder and top with some sliced green onions.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery finely chopped
- 1 whole medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- Crushed red pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke (optional)
- 2 teaspoons unbleached flour to thicken (optional)
- 1 cup beer (optional)
- 28 ounces diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1-2 cups no or low salt vegetable broth
- 2-3 sliced green onions
- Heat a soup pot to medium heat. Add the carrots and celery. Cook for 5 minutes to soften slightly and add a small amount of stock.
- Add the onion and cook for 5 more minutes. When the veggies are soft, add the garlic and a dash of salt, cooking for two more minutes, then add the paprika and as much crushed red pepper as you’d like.
- Sprinkle the flour over the veggies, and stir together with the seasonings. Add the beer, the liquid smoke (if using), stir and turn the heat to medium-high. Allow the liquid to reduce by half, then add the tomatoes and 1/2 cup of stock.
- Cover the pot, reduce heat to medium and let simmer for 10-20 minutes until the veggies are softened to your liking.
- Blend the soup until nearly pureed in a high speed blender or food processor. Taste, and adjust salt or other seasonings. If the soup is too thick, add more stock a little at a time to achieve the desired consistency.
- Before serving, top with sliced green onion.