These crackers have a wonderfully savory flavor, with a sweet element from the carrots. They became addictive in our house!
Original Recipe by Carrie on Vegan
Makes 2 dozen
Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes in oven; 6-8 hours in dehydrator
- 1 cup almonds, soaked overnight, rinsed, and drained
- 2 cups finely shredded carrot, or pulp, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon ground chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon finely ground coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon no-salt seasoning (I like Spike Natural)
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried onion
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cups water
- Place almonds in food processor and process on high until broken into medium crumbles.
- Add carrot pulp, ground flax and chia seeds, sunflower seeds, ground coconut flakes, and all seasonings. Pulse first to combine, then turn processor on high, pouring the water in slowly through the top. Add enough water so that it becomes a heavy pourable dough.
- Baking: Oven temperature is at 325 degrees. Spread dough 1/4″ thin evenly in shallow pan or on sprayed or lined cookie sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, but check after 20 for crispness. If crisp enough, score with knife and flip crackers. Bake for another 10 minutes.
Using a Dehydrator: Divide the dough between two parchment or Teflex-lined dehydrator trays. Using a spatula, spread dough ¼” thin. Dehydrate at 125 degrees for 2 hours. Then, use a knife to score the dough into cracker shapes. Dehydrate for 6-8 hours at 115 degrees. Break the dough into crackers, flip, and bake for 6-8 more hours at 115 degrees.
You can store the crackers in an air-tight container for up to 7 days.