CRISPY KALE CHIPS
What’s better than a crispy, crunchy and cheesy snack? The rub for the kale chips is good and creamy and this recipe calls for some fun massaging!
I really think this recipe works best using a dehydrator, but if you don’t have one, I’ve included the option to use your oven below.
Makes about 3 cups (but it goes quickly, so double the batch)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: dehydrator 12-24 hours; oven 15-25 minutes
- 1-2 bunches kale, washed, large stems removed, torn into bite size pieces
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup cashews, (soaked 2 hours & drained)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded & chopped
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- 1 tablespoon water
- Place washed kale in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and 1 tbsp of lemon juice and massage the kale with your hands until all kale pieces coated.
- Put remaining ingredients into a blender or Vitamix and blend until smooth. Pour mixture all over the kale and massage again to cover the leaves completely.
- Lay coated kale leaves in a single layer in a dehydrator. Dehydrate at 125 degrees for 12 hours or overnight, until coating is dry and kale is crispy.
- Oven option: Bake at 325 F for 10 minutes, flip all kale pieces over carefully. Turn oven temp down to it’s lowest temperature (mine is 180 F) and continue to bake for 15 minutes or until all coating is dry and kale pieces are crispy.
Make sure you get some before serving because they’ll be gone in a flash!