This is an easy recipe and the longer you allow the tofu to sit in the marinade, the more pronounced the flavors will become. Use this plant-based feta on salads, in a Mediterranean pasta dish, or as an addition to an eggplant sandwich or wrap, and maybe add a little hummus or avocado.
Prep time: 20 minutes (exclusive of tofu pressing time)
Marinate time: 2-24 hours
Makes 8 oz.
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu
- 2 Tblsp. water
- 4 tsp. yellow miso paste
- ¼ cup apple cider
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tblsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. dried rosemary
- 2 Tblsp. nutritional yeast
- Press as much water out of the tofu as possible. If you don’t have an actual tofu press, you can place the tofu block on a plate, cover in a clean towel and place another plate on top. Add heavy objects, like books, to the top of the plate and let it sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours. (While this step isn’t completely necessary, it does help to create a better feta-like consistency).
- Whisk all other ingredients together in a large bowl* and set aside while tofu is pressing.
- Using your hands, ‘crumble’ the tofu block to resemble feta cheese into the bowl with the marinade.
- Gently coat the tofu pieces thoroughly and set in fridge to allow the flavors to ‘marry’ into the tofu.
*Instead of a bowl, a large ziplock bag can be used.