Jacked Up Crabby Dip
If you’ve ever enjoyed crab or other seafood dip, you’re going to love this one even more. Why? For one, no seafood creatures are harmed making it. Then, this recipe is so much richer, and way healthier than its’ old fashioned version. A few special, fun ingredients are necessary, but I guarantee you’ll be making this lovely dip over and over again. It’s a huge hit at parties!
Prep time: 10 minutes (not including cashew soaking time)
Bake time: 20 minutes
Makes 4-5 cups
- 2 cups raw cashews (soaked in 2 cups water overnight)*
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cashew milk or other vegan milk
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning or more to taste
- ½ tsp. ground sea salt
- ¼ tsp. smokey paprika
- ⅛ tsp onion powder
- 14 oz. can young jackfruit packed in water
- 1 tsp. dill
- 1 tsp. hot sauce (optional)
- 2 tsp. dulse flakes (optional, but recommended)
- 3-4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup + 2 T. shredded vegan parmesan (optional)
*Recipe Notes: A quick way to soften nuts is to boil them in water for 10-12 minutes, or in microwave for 4-6 minutes.
Jackfruit can usually be found at Whole Foods, or in Asian markets. Make sure to buy the canned jackfruit in brine, not syrup!
- Heat a sauce pot on medium with 3 cups water. Drain and rinse the jackfruit well. When water boils, add the jackfruit pieces, cover and reduce to a simmer for 8-10 minutes. This makes shredding it much easier.
- While jackfruit is simmering, drain and rinse the cashews and put into a high-powered blender or food processor. Add the garlic clove, cashew milk, lemon juice, mustard, Old Bay seasoning, salt, paprika and onion powder and blend for about 2 minutes scraping the sides frequently, or until it’s a creamy and smooth consistency. Add small amounts of non-dairy milk to get the desired smooth, but thick consistency.
Scrape the cashew mixture into a medium bowl.
- Take jackfruit off stove and drain. In a separate medium bow, shred the jackfruit with two forks until you have what resembles “shredded crabmeat”. Add the shredded jackfruit to the bowl with the cashew mixture. Gently fold until fully combined. You can add the green onions, and optional parmesan at this point.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a medium ceramic or glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Transfer jackfruit mix to your baking dish, sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons parmesan, if desired, and bake for 20 minutes. Serve with toast, crostini, crackers, or raw vegetables.