Mediterranean Cauliflower Rice
This is a raw dish, but before you click off, you have to know that it’s a really tasty recipe full of interesting and familiar flavors with a couple surprises! The Mediterranean flavors come from the lemon juice, capers and olives. If you’ve never ‘riced’ a cauliflower before, give it a shot. It’s texture is that of quinoa and this whole recipe is full of nutrients that’ll make your body sing!
Recipe adapted from The Novice Housewife
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 2 hours in refrigerator
Raw and gluten free
- 1 large head cauliflower (approx. 3 cups)
- ½ cup carrots, finely diced
- ⅓ cup red pepper, finely diced
- 4 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 4 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 3 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes (cherry tomatoes can be substituted)
- 2 tbsp kalamata olives, diced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp small capers
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/4 cup currants (or 1/2 cup sliced seedless grapes)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Wash the cauliflower florets well. Add the cauliflower to your food processor with the ‘S’ blade and whir it up until the cauliflower is broken down and resembles couscous or quinoa.
- Chop all the other vegetables. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix well. Let chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour to let all the flavors blend.