Orange Glazed Carrots
Simple, yet so complex! These orange sweeties are a perfect addition to any plant-based meal! If you don’t have Garam Masala in the house, you can use a combination of any of these spices: cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, black pepper, star anise, dried chilies, coriander, cumin.
Prep time: Marinate for at least 2 hours
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
- 2 pounds carrots, cut on a bias into 1-inch lengths, halved if thick (option: use fresh baby carrots with the stems)
- 1 cup canned reduced-sodium vegetable broth or water
- 1/2 teaspoon thinly sliced orange zest
- 2/3 cup fresh orange juice (I used blood orange juice)
- 1-1/2-inch piece peeled fresh ginger, cut into matchsticks (option: 1 tsp. ground ginger)
- 1 tsp. Garam Masala
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
Mix together broth, orange zest, fresh orange juice, garam masala and ginger. Add your carrots to a large, sealable plastic bag and pour in the broth/juice mixture. Let these marinate for at least 2-3 hours and turn them over every 1/2 hour to coat the carrots.
Heat a large saute pan over medium high heat. Add the carrots and the marinade to hot pan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Uncover, and cook over medium heat until carrots are tender and liquid has reduced and become syrupy, 7 to 9 more minutes. Option next step: Place the carrots under the broiler for 4 minutes or until they begin to turn golden brown.
Garnish with chopped parsley and season with salt and pepper.