If you like potato pancakes, these are going to blow you away! They’re delicious with unsweetened applesauce, or the savory cashew sage cream sauce (recipe below)
Original recipe from Happy Herbivore
Makes 8 pancakes
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and grated (2 cups)
- ¼ teaspoon minced yellow onion
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon white spelt flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds mixed with 3 tablespoons water
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- A pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon paprika (optional; try smoked)
Cashew Sage Cream Sauce
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked for 30-60 minutes in hot water, then drained)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 15 fresh sage leaves or 2 Tbls. dried
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup water, or more if needed
Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Add water until the sauce reaches the consistency of a thick mayonnaise. It will make about 2 cups (add more cashews if sauce gets too thin, more water if too thick).
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. You can speed this process up by using the grater attachment on a food processor for the potatoes.
- Scoop about ¼ cup of the mixture for each latke onto the prepared baking sheet. Flatten to about ¼ inch thick.
- Bake for 8 minutes, then flip the pancakes and bake until golden brown, about 8 minutes, before serving.