UN-FRIED MUSHROOMS WITH SPICY AIOLI DIPPING SAUCE
I bought oyster mushrooms at the local farmer’s market, and added a few more shitake mushrooms to make sure we had enough! These crispy little beauties are so satisfying. Dipped in a mix of flaxseed ‘egg’, then drenched with a seasoned cornmeal coating, you’ll be watching them impatiently bake in a hot oven!
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
- 3 cups or 24 oz. mushrooms of choice
- 1 cup fine cornmeal
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup ww or gf flour
- 1 Tbls. smoky or chipotle paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 4 Tbls. ground flax meal
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbls. ACV (apple cider vinegar)
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Trim stems from mushrooms and brush off debris. Do not wash them.
- Make the flax ‘egg’ by adding 1/2 cup water and the AVC to the flax meal in a small bowl and whisk to mix it completely. Let sit for a couple minutes.
- In a larger, shallow bowl, combine thoroughly the cornmeal, nutritional yeast, paprika, GF flour, garlic powder and salt.
- Check back with flax ‘egg’. If it’s pasty, add a little more water. This mix should be slightly runny; just enough to coat your mushrooms lightly. Transfer this dipping mix to a shallow bowl or pan.
- One at a time, dip and coat the clean and dry mushrooms in the flax ‘egg’, then coat with the cornmeal mix.
- Place them on a parchment lined baking pan, but don’t crowd the pan.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until they begin to brown and crisp on the edges. You can let them go a bit longer, but don’t burn them!
Serve with Spicy Aioli Dipping Sauce