Pancakes are pancakes, right? WRONG!! These little beauties are packed with nutrients, but that’s boring. More importantly, if you use all organic and fresh ingredients, you’ll have stacks of mouth-watering, fluffy and sweet pancakes. If you’re a blueberry lover, you’ll fall in love all over again with this recipe.
Makes 8-10 pancakes so you may want to double this recipe!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10-12 minutes
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Organic Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almond milk or dairy-free milk of choice
- Chia egg mixture*
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or sugar of choice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh organic blueberries
* Mix together 1 Tbls. ground chia seed with 2 Tbls. water and set aside until it is thickened and gel-like. This is a fantastic and way healthier egg replacement and chia seeds have protein and calcium!
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a another smaller mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, applesauce, chia egg, maple syrup and vanilla extract until thoroughly blended.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry mixture. Stir until combined, so only a few lumps remain (don’t over-mix or your pancakes will be tough. Gently fold in the blueberries and let the batter rest for 5 minutes so your pancakes will cook up nice and fluffy.
- Heat a heavy cast iron skillet or nonstick.
- Using a little spray oil, coat the pan (optional), and drop in 1/3 – 1/2 cup of batter, moving pan around to distribute batter into well shaped circle.
- Let one side cook for 2-3 minutes, then gently flip over for another 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately with your favorite syrup, but these flavorful pancakes don’t need anything more than your fork!