Tofu Egg and Runny Yolk Sauce
If you’re still eating eggs, or miss eating them, this one’s for you. The tofu egg and runny, dipping sauce will leave you completely happy, healthy, satisfied and compassionate. You may even have some leftover runny sauce to drizzle on potatoes!
Original recipe from Sam at It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
Runny Yolk Sauce
- 1 cup water or unsweetened almond (or other non-dairy except coconut) milk
- 3 Tbls. nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbls. + 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 1-2 tsp. kala namak (black mineral salt, optional)
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- Make the runny yolk sauce first by mixing all ingredients in a medium size bowl. Whisk until all is combined.
- Pour mix into sauce pan heated on medium. Bring to a slight boil while whisking, then reduce heat to very low while you make the tofu egg. Taste and add more of what you think it needs!
- Slice tofu lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices.*
- Heat large saute’ pan on medium heat. You can use a little spray oil, or go oil-free and keep some broth handy to saute. OPTION: Place tofu pieces in single layer in air fryer basket. Heat on 380 degrees for 8 minutes, flip the tofu and cook for another 4-6 minutes until browned to your satisfaction.
- Place tofu slices in pan without overlapping and cook on each side for 4-6 minutes until browned. Use small amounts of broth to keep them from sticking.
*Option: cut 3 large slices from the big side of tofu block. Using a small circle cutter, knife or glass edge, push into each slice to make a circle. Then, cut a smaller circle from the middle, creating a space to pour in the runny yolk sauce.
This breakfast meal is well complemented with my tempeh bacun recipe.