However you do it, tofu is THE easiest and most versatile, and healthy breakfast protein. More specifically, 5 grams per half cup. No cholesterol or fat, but plenty of calcium and iron. Instead of reaching for the eggs, open a container of tofu and make this recipe with your favorite veggies and toppings!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10-12 minutes
- 1 block of extra firm tofu
- chopped spinach
- chopped kale
- cherry tomatoes
- black beans
- green or red pepper, minced
- roasted potatoes, chopped
- sliced mushrooms
- tempeh bacon
- 2 Tbls. nutritional yeast
- Kala Namak*
*Kala Namak is black mineral salt that has an ‘eggy’ odor and flavor like eggs when used. It’s a fairly strong flavor, so if you choose to use it, do so sparingly.
Depending on how firm you want the tofu, you can choose to press it for a couple of hours or overnight.
As long as you start with the extra firm block, you can use it right out of the container.
- Chop tofu into small pieces
- In pre-heated saute pan, spray a little canola or coconut oil and add tofu pieces.
- Saute tofu, stirring carefully and occasionally until pieces begin to brown.
- When they begin to turn dark brown, remove from pan and set aside.
- Add chopped onions to pan with a little broth or water and sauté until soft and translucent.
- Then, add your other vegetables of choice and sauté until they’re soft.
- Add back in the tofu and combine well.
- Sprinkle with nutritional yeast, salt and pepper to taste.