VEGGIE AND BEAN BURGERS
I’ve been buying veggie burgers from the deli counter at Whole Foods for the past year…for Roger. He loves them. Therein, lies the problem, and while I love him immensely, I don’t like feeding him these burgers. 1) I know they’re full of oils and too much salt and other processed stuff, and 2) they’re really expensive.
So, I set out to make my own. On one of my trips to Whole Foods Market, I asked them to print me out the ingredient list of their deil burgers. Whoa!!! There were over 30 ingredients; many I didn’t recognize. The ones that I did recognize as whole plant foods were going to be my guide as I pulled together this recipe. I really hope you like it. But, even if it’s not to your taste, Roger loves them!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Makes 8-10 patties, depending on how big you make them
- 2 Tbls. ground flaxseed mixed thoroughly in 3 1/2 Tbls. water (this is your ‘egg’)
- 1/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup cooked kidney or black beans
- small red onion, chopped
- 4 baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup bbq sauce or ketchup
- 1/2 cup cooked corn
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1 package original tempeh (4 oz.)*
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. smoky paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- crushed red pepper to your taste
*If you’re GF, omit the tempeh and add another 1/2 cup of beans.