Fusilli Broccoli Bowls with Walnut Cream Sauce
Can I just say, holy walnuts? This recipe is so decadent, delicious, filling, full of flavor, and the best part is it’s super easy and comes together in about 20 minutes. Laura says “the walnut “cream” sauce does double duty as a delicious sauce for topping grains, salads, or veggies!”
Thanks to Laura Theodore from the Jazzy Vegetarian for sharing this awesome recipe with us from her new cookbook!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 8 ounces fusilli pasta
- 4 cups bite-sized broccoli florets
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon roasted or raw sunflower seeds (optional), for garnish
- Fresh chopped parsley (optional), for garnish
WALNUT “CREAM” SAUCE
- 1-1/2 cups walnut halves
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons tamari
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning blend
- 1 medium clove garlic, chopped
- Several grinds of freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil over medium-high heat. Stir in the fusilli. Decrease the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes. Add the broccoli florets, stir and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the fusilli and broccoli are both cooked al dente.
- While the fusilli and broccoli cooks, put all of the Walnut “Cream” Sauce ingredients into a blender and process until very smooth and creamy. Taste and add more pepper, if desired.