POTATO AND SQUASH CASSEROLE WITH CASHEW CREAM
I’m always happy when I find Delicato squash because it’s got such a subtly sweet flavor and you can eat the WHOLE thing. After all, I’m all about eating whole foods, so this is truly a perfect one. Besides, this recipe came together with everything else I had in the house at the time, red potatoes and onion. It’s super easy and delivers a huge flavor payoff!
Prep time: 10 minutes, plus 2 hours soaking time
Cook time: 50 minutes
- 4 medium sized red potatoes, sliced 1/2″ thick and hold in cold water (this keeps them from oxidizing)
- 1/2 cup unsalted cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any non-dairy unsweetened milk of your choice)
- 2 same sized Delicato squash, ends cut off and sliced in rings 1/2 – 3/4″ thick*
- 1/2 white onion, sliced thin
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 tsp. dried sage
- 1 small garlic clove, minced (or 1 tsp. garlic powder)
- 1/4 cup white wine of your choice
*The seeds in the Delicato squash can be cooked along with it, but I usually spend the extra minute to remove them from each sliced ring. Remember not to peel the outside of the squash. The shell is beautiful and cooks down with the squash to be eaten together!