White Bolognese Sauce with Roasted Delicata Squash
I have another Bolognese sauce with walnuts, and it includes tomatoes. However, this recipe really intrigued me when I found it, and I knew I could ‘healthify’ it! I was blown away at how creamy, rich and flavorful this sauce is, beautifully complementing the squash.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 3 large Delicata squash
- 2 medium size onions
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 medium celery stalks
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup non-dairy, unsweetened milk
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- Dash nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup raw, whole walnuts
- 3 tablespoons non-dairy parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut off ends from the Delicata squash. Pierce each one and place in large casserole dish. Add 1 cup water and microwave for 8 minutes or until you can gently push on the outer shell of the squash. Let cool for several minutes before slicing into 3/4″ thick slices. You will see the seeds inside, so gently scrape them from the center of each squash slice.
- Coarsely chop the carrots, onions, celery and garlic and add to food processor – pulse until roughly minced (you can also chop by hand, as I do, but it will take more time).
- Heat a large, sauté pan with sides, or deep pot, over medium heat and add the minced vegetables.
- Cook for 5 – 7 minutes, until the veggies are soft, but not browned.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Roughly chop the walnuts into small pieces. Toss into small heated pan and toast until fragrant. Set aside.
- Add the white wine to deglaze the pan, and reduce liquid by about half.
- Add the non-dairy milk, herbs, bay leaf, and mix in well.
- Bring to a simmer, adding 1 cup vegetable stock.
- Cover and simmer on low for 30 minutes. Add small amounts of remaining veg stock to keep vegetables from sticking and sauce stays saucy!
- While sauce simmers, place squash slices on roasting pan covered with parchment. Option: spray them lightly with canola or other flavorless oil. Bake for 15 minutes, flip each slice and bake for another 12-15 minutes, until softened and slightly browned.
- Add a dash of nutmeg, and the parmesan to sauce, mix together, and taste for salt and pepper.
- Remove bay leaf and serve over roasted Delicata squash.