ARUGULA SALAD WITH FIGS AND CRISPY SHALLOTS
I saw this recipe in an issue of the ‘O’ magazine I picked up in our condo fitness room. It was an unusually warm day for the type of winter we’ve been experiencing and my body was craving a satisfying salad. I love arugula. I love figs. I love warm dressing. Bam!
I revised the ingredients to make it completely plant-based, virtually oil-free and full of amazing flavor.
Serves 4 (or in my case, 2 big plates)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
- 6 cups baby arugula , washed and spun dry
- 6 ripe Mission ripe Mission figs , trimmed and quartered lengthwise
- 3 shallots
- Spray coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Large pinch of pepper
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1-2 tablespoon fresh lemon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh fresh thyme
- Place arugula and figs in a a big serving bowl.
- Thinly slice two shallots and separate into rings. Lightly spray the shallots with coconut oil spray, sprinkle with salt and a large pinch of pepper.
- Two ways to crisp the shallots: Heat a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add sliced shallots and cook, stirring until golden brown and crisp, 5 to 8 minutes. Option is to put shallots under broiler, keeping an eye on them and turning them to brown on all sides. When crisp, remove and set aside to cool.
- Mince remaining shallot. Using a blender or bullet, blend shallot, vinegar,maple syrup, mustard, lemon juice and thyme until well blended.
- In a small saucepan, heat your blended dressing, add salt to taste and a large pinch of pepper. Cook over low heat for about 1 minute, until just warm. Pour dressing over arugula mixture and toss well. Sprinkle with crisp shallots and serve warm.