Quinoa and Spinach Salad with Pears
Anytime is a good time for a salad, and this one doesn’t disappoint. The flavor combination will knock your socks off. Crunchy chickpeas and pecans, nutritious quinoa and fresh spinach don’t need a heavy dressing. The maple vinaigrette dressing is perfect.
Total time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup organic red quinoa
- 2 big handfuls organic baby spinach leaves, washed, drained
- 1 large ripe pear, washed, stemmed and cored, cut into thin pieces
- 1/2 cup chilled chick peas
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup pecans, pan toasted and roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons golden balsamic vinegar or glaze
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- water to thin
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- Rinse the quinoa thoroughly in a fine sieve. Place the quinoa in a saucepan or rice cooker. Add 2 cups water, and a pinch of sea salt. Cover and cook on a low simmer until all the water is absorbed and the quinoa is tender. This may take up to 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork and place it into a large salad bowl.
- Add the baby spinach and chick peas to the quinoa and gently toss together.
- Arrange the pears on top of the quinoa spinach salad.
- Whisk together the dressing, pour it over the salad and toss gently to coat. Season to taste with sea salt and ground pepper.
- Just before serving, toss in the toasted pecans.