The basic sour cream recipe from Angela Liddon (without the avocado) lends itself to many different flavors and spice combinations. Adding the avocado amps up the richness and goes well on any Southwestern or Italian dish. Heck, it’s even a great dip!
Total time: 10 minutes plus soak time
Makes approx. 1 1/2 cups
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 1/2 to 1 cup water, as needed
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. sea salt, to taste
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- In a small bowl, cover cashews with water. Soak for at least 2 hours or longer, preferably overnight.
- Drain and rinse the cashews and place in high speed blender.
- Add water, lemon, vinegar, and salt. Blend on high until smooth. Scrape down the sides of blender or add a little more water to achieve the right consistency. Taste it for tartness before adding the avocado.
- Now, add the avocado and blend again. When it’s really creamy, transfer to a small container and place in fridge for as long as you can.
- The cream will thicken up and you’ll love it!