You can continue to buy hoisin sauce from the store, but you’ll be bringing home lots of salt for the price you pay. Make a batch to store it in an airtight glass container for 2-3 weeks. You can also make a really big batch, and transfer it into ice cube trays. Freeze it, pop them out and store in a plastic bag to use as you want! The tahini gives this surprise sauce its’ creaminess and extra punch.
- 4 Tbls. low-salt soy sauce (Bragg’s, tamari)
- 2 Tbls. natural peanut butter (I used 2 Tbls. PB 2 powder*)
- 1 Tbls. molasses
- 2 1/2 tsp. rice vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 2 tsp. tahini
- 1 tsp. Chinese hot sauce or chili paste
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
*PB 2 peanut butter powder is not a complete whole, plant-based food item. Because I enjoy the flavor of peanut butter in various recipes, I’ve determined based on my research and use of this product, it is an acceptable and chosen substitute for the higher calorie natural peanut butter.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Whisk until well combined.