HOT AND SPICY CORN DIP
Yep, you got that right. This is a ‘can’t stop eating it’ type of dip that you better make damn sure you’ve got enough of for everyone, and you’re going to want to put some away for yo’self! This recipe comes together quickly and easily, so get to it!!
Prep time: 10 minutes (unless soaking nuts for 2-4 hours)
Cook time: 10-15 minutes
Makes 2 full cups but you’re gonna want more…
- 3/4 cup soaked almond or cashew pieces* (sub any soft bean like butter or cannelini)
- 1 cup unsweetened plant milk (cashew, almond or soy)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbls. tapioca powder (you’ll judge if you need more as you begin to cook it)
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. smoky paprika
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 ears of corn
- dash of red pepper flakes
- 2 green onions, finely diced
- 2 plum or other tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup jalapeños, seeded and diced
*All nuts I use are raw and unsalted.
- Slice the corn from the cobs and set the kernels aside. No need to cook the corn first.*
- Place the first 8 ingredients through salt into a high speed blender and blend until smooth. It should be a mostly watery, not creamy mix.
- Add the blender mix to a heated sauce pan and cook on med-high heat, whisking often. After 2-3 minutes, the mix should begin to thicken. Keep whisking to keep it from clumping. Lower heat and continue to cook until you’re satisfied with the thickness and texture. Here’s where you can decide if you want to add more tapioca starch to thicken it.
- Turn heat off and stir in the corn kernels and red pepper flakes, mixing well.
- Pour hot corn dip into a bowl, top with diced tomatoes, green onions and jalapeños and serve with crispy, corn tortilla triangles.
*But, if you want to get all fancy, you can roast the ears of corn over your open flame stove…be careful! Let cool, then slice them.