Use this melty, gooey goodness for anything you like! Scoop it up with chips, or pile it on pizza with your other favorite toppings before baking. Try making a grilled cheese sandwich (and don’t forget the tomatoes)! Not only does this cheesy substitute stretch, it’s beyond delicious and it’s dairy free!
Prep and cook time: less than 10 minutes
Makes almost 2 full cups
Adapted from Vegd Out and IDTLC (It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 Tbsp + 2 tsp Tapioca Starch (aka Tapioca Flour)
- 1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Soak the cashews at least four hours or overnight. If you’re impatient (like me), you can boil them for 10 minutes until soft.
- Add the cashews and remaining ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until really smooth. It will be very watery.
- Pour into a small sauce pan over medium high heat, and stir or whisk to keep from burning the bottom.
- When the cheese starts forming clumps, turn heat down to low, keep stirring until it becomes cheesy & stringy. This process only took me about 4 minutes. Continue to cook and stir for an additional 2 minutes to make sure it firms up completely.
- If you want a less dense cheese, add small amounts of water or vegetable broth.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge and it should stay good for about a week. Heat it up to awaken the meltiness!
Play with the the cheese flavors by adding seasonings like oregano, thyme or rosemary.