Perfect Cheese Sauce
This cheese sauce is perfect because it uses beans and not nuts, like so many other creamy sauces. The addition of red miso is one of the keys, and this sauce is so rich, creamy and delicious, you’ll want to drizzle it on everything. No cooking involved, either.
Total time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup cooked (canned) white beans, either Great Northern or Canellini, DRAIN THEM AND SAVE THE BEAN WATER!!
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- A pinch of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup bean water
- 2 tablespoons red miso
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 cups yellow zucchini, roughly chopped and steamed lightly
- 2-3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Put all ingredients in your high speed blender and blend until creamy, adding more bean or regular water for your desired sauce consistency.
Recipe Notes: a plant-based milk can be substituted for the bean water. You can also turn this cheese sauce into a lovely, tangy queso by adding chopped jalapenos or chilis and cumin.