TZATIKI SAUCE OR DIP
I love Mediterranean flavors, and I’ve always loved tzatziki sauce on my falafels, or to just dip pita bread wedges in! Traditional tzatziki sauce is made with heavy yogurt (which is ALL DAIRY) and olive oil (which is SO UNNECESSARY). This recipe is every bit as flavorful as the traditional version, AND without the dairy fat or accompanying cholesterol. It’s an easy recipe to throw together, too.
Total time: less than 10 minutes
Makes about 2 cups
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 3 tablespoons of lemon juice)
- ½ cup cucumber, diced
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- fresh black ground pepper to taste
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon non-dairy milk (I always use unsweetened almond)
- In a high speed blender combine all ingredients except cucumbers and fresh herbs.
- Blend until everything is combined and smooth. Pour into a medium sized container.
- Stir in chopped cucumbers and chopped fresh herbs until well combined.
- Store in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Serve as a sauce with falafel or dip for baked pita chips or bread wedges.