Luscious Lentil Soup
Thank you Alton Brown! I found this simple recipe recently and knew I had to put this together my way. His recipes have been inspirational to me, and many are so easy to transform into a delicious plant-based meal! This spicy lentil soup is a wonderfully elevated version.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Makes 8-10 cups
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 pound lentils, picked and rinsed
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1- 15oz. can organic chopped tomatoes
- 2 quarts low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala*
- Salt and pepper to taste
*If you don’t have this on hand, use equal parts of cinnamon, cardamom and black pepper. These flavors added with the coriander and cumin are outstanding.
- Heat a large 6-quart pan over medium heat.
- Once hot, add the onion, carrot, celery and a pinch of salt.
- Sweat the onions until translucent, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add the fresh lentils, tomatoes, broth, coriander, cumin, chili flakes and Garam Masala and stir to combine.
- Increase the heat to high and bring just to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook at a low simmer until the lentils are tender but not mushy, approximately 35 to 40 minutes.
- Optional: use a stick blender and puree some or all of the soup to your preferred consistency.
- Stir in chopped kale at the end and serve immediately with toasted pita points.