BAKED APPLE FRITTERS
Baked, not fried! These are so good, you won’t even notice they’re not fried, and your body will thank you! These are a great travel item, and good for breakfast, too.
Inspired by Feed Your Skull
Makes approximately 6-10 fritters, depending on the size you want to make them!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
I decreased the quantity of nutmeg and ginger from the original recipe. Do what your tastes enjoy.
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup chopped apple (about 1/2 an apple)
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (option for GF is to use garbanzo or other gluten-free flour)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup diced apple (about 1/2 an apple; set aside)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease it.
- In a food processor (mini or large) or blender, combine water, medjool dates, and chopped apple until smooth like apple butter. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt) until blended. Add the almond milk, date/apple mixture and vanilla extract and stir to combine. Fold in the diced apples and give it one final stir.
- Using a serving spoon, drop 6 lumpy ‘fritter’ shapes evenly spaced onto the parchment paper (about 3 tablespoons each).
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Enjoy!