CHOCOLATE PUMPKIN BROWNIES
These are really delicious; feel free to add more chocolate chips! Bars can be frozen. Simply bake, cool, cut and store in ziploc freezer bag. Reheat individually for 30 seconds in microwave….have one for breakfast; no one will know!
Makes 16 bars
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups oat flour or make your own using regular oats (not quick cook, but you can use gluten-free if you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons ground chia or flax seed (these are explained below)
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (optional, but a great addition by my friend, Cindy)
- 1/3 cup vegan chocolate chips, plus 2 tablespoons for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 8×11 or 9 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Making oat flour: Place oatmeal into blender or food processor and blend for 1-2 minutes until ground into flour. You may need to stop blender and stir oats a couple of times to ensure that all oats have been blended.
- In a small bowl, add warm water to chia or flax seed, stir until completely combined and looks like paste; set aside. This is used in place of oil or eggs to hold brownies together!
- Measure out 2 1/2 cups of the oat flour and place in a medium bowl. Whisk in baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices; set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, brown sugar, vanilla extract, applesauce and the chia ‘paste’ for 1-2 minutes until the consistency is smooth and creamy. Slowly add in oat flour mixture and the coconut; mix until just combined.
- Gently fold in 1/3 cup of chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes or until knife inserted into center comes out clean. Timing depends on what size pan you use, but check after 15 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes on wire rack. Cut into 16 slices.