Mango Apple Crisp
Who doesn’t like apple crisp? Grab a slice of this gooey, crispy, slightly sweet and tart loaf with your cup of tea, or drop a heaping scoop of coconut vanilla ice cream on it, and just go to town!
The great thing about this recipe is its’ versatility. Actually, another great thing about the recipe is it’s freakin’ delicious! Tart apples and mango jam nestled in between a chewy bottom and crispy streusel topping. You can also use any other fruit-only jam you like, or have on hand. Apricot works well, too.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Makes 1 loaf
For the Crust:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 Tbls. sweet potato OR pumpkin puree
- Pinch of salt
For the Filling:
- 1 apple, sliced fairly thin
- 1/2 cup mango jam (or any other fruit-only jam you prefer)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, sweet potato OR pumpkin puree and salt. Mix together until combined.
- In a small bowl, combine the sliced apple, jam, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir until jam coats all the apple pieces.
- In the parchment lined loaf pan, press half of the streusel flour mixture into the bottom of the pan. Next, add the apple jam filling and crumble the rest of the streusel topping over the top, pressing it down gently.
- Bake at 350°F for 25- 30 minutes, or until the top is bubbly. Allow to cool in pan for at least 15 minutes, then transfer carefully to cooling rack, and let cool for another 15 minutes before cutting. This is the hardest part!